Instant Jo'burg is xPatria's one-of-a-kind, proprietary guide for newcomers, returning professionals, their spouses, children and pets. This guide gives you the inside scoop on restaurants, shops, doctors and a wide range of service providers in the city. Do you want the most recommended romantic restaurant, green grocer or fish store? It's in Instant Jo'burg.
We have broken down many of the retailers and service providers into Gems and Giants:
Gems are those little out of the way restaurants, green grocers and butchers, for example, that offer the best value, the best service and the best "welcome to your new home" feel.
Giants are those stores, restaurants and other service providers that everyone recommends, but are stock standard favourites.
The book is based on a detailed survey of over 50 professionals and is an information rich discussion on most of the key elements to making your transition to South Africa a pleasant and safe experience.
Each section is constantly updated based on recommendations from colleagues and our own experience. Unlike other guides to Johannesburg or South Africa, there is no advertising. So like Zagat's® or others, these recommendations are from your peers.
We have also devoted extensive efforts to teasing out the places and events that are good for families with children, again something unique to the South African marketplace. In most cases, we have provided addresses, phone numbers and websites where applicable.
Please note: Instant Jo'burg is available on the web for our clients. Please logon here if you are a client or click here to contact us if you are interested in becoming a client.
We have broken down the book into the following sections:
- Grocery retailers & department stores
- Consumables (food, flowers, wine & liquor, stationery & gifts)
- Clothing (women’s & men’s, shoes)
- Children’s needs (clothing, toys and baby kit)
- Basics durables (appliances, hardware, computers and electronics)
- Décor (bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchens & art)
- Luxury items (jewellery & sunglasses)
- Hobbies (athletic gear, music/DVD’s/games, books, art supplies & scrap booking)
- Health Care Providers (general practitioners, Ob-Gyn’s, dentists, optometrists and other specialists)
- Personal Service Providers (car care, plumbers, electricians, security, general contractors, painters, pool care and others)
- Beauty & Wellness (hair stylists, manicures / pedicures, spas and other requirements to jazz up your energy levels)
- Restaurants (kid friendly, romantic, regional foods, steakhouses and many others)
- Family activities & hobbies (fun for the family, fun experiences around Johannesburg, cooking classes and more)
- Exercise (sports clubs, gyms, golf and other outdoor pursuits)
- Travel in South Africa (airlines, travel agents, around the area, off to the bush, the Midlands, the Cape and elsewhere)
- General usage terms
- Food & beverage
Click here to see these many other useful tips to dramatically accelerate your acclimation to Jo'burg.